Friday 13 March 2015

REVIEW: Katy Perry Killer Queen...

Always love discovering a new fragrance, especially at the start of another season, and while I haven't sampled any of the others in Katy Perry's range, I'm already hooked on this Killer Queen . The red ombre bottle with gold sceptre cap is a stunner - reminds me of the crystal you need to insert into the stone cavity to open the temple in an Indiana Jones movie ha ha. Totally impractical of course (because it doesn't stand upright), and it might even need to be registered as a lethal weapon with that faceted crystal point, but hey it's just so fabulously decadent ("Own the Throne!")...
Sure I've had my eye on it in various stores - hadn't gotten around to trying it, but when I spotted it within centimetres of my fingertips at the cashier's counter in Chemist Warehouse, I figured fate might be guiding me towards a new passion. So I found the tester and spritzed away. Grabbed me from the start, and then I saw the price - $19.95. What? Read the sign a couple of times in case I was hallucinating, but yep, it was just under $20 for a whopping 100mls, so my instinct was spot on lol...

Most definitely a cooler weather fragrance for me, it's one of those interesting ones that clutches you in it's embrace, and then let's go. By that I mean at first I thought it was going to be an overpowering stayer that would need to be dispensed in minute doses, but the initial berry, bergamot and chocolatey burst doesn't last more than 30 seconds or so, leaving behind quite a delicate but spicy floral, and then the patchouli starts to emerge, and holds everything together for several hours. I'd classify it as a gourmand - reminds me a little of Lancôme's La Vie Est Belle (they both have praline base notes), but it's not nearly so potent and heady, and of course, only a fraction of the price...
There's quite a few flowery ingredients flirting around with the wild berries and dark plum - celosia (never heard of it), frangipani and jasmine, but my nose can't identify any of these last two. All up it's a fascinating combination of sweet and sour, with some woody fragments to give it some warmth - lasts reasonably well, and while it seems to be aimed at the younger market, I'm sure older gals will appreciate the surprising maturity that unfolds after the first powerful punch...

Of course now I'm mad keen to try the others Katy has put together - only hope I can pick them up for a similar bargain basement price 

Take care of you,
kats xxx

7 comments:

  1. Great, captivating review, Kat! Glad you like it, and what a steal for that price! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee Indie thanks hon - some fragrances I find quite a challenge to write about, but this one was a breeze ♥

      Delete
  2. You are so good at describing this fragrance! And what a brilliant price you managed to get it for!
    I have the blue Katy Perry Killer Queen: Royal Revolution. I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still can't believe how cheap it was Fabulous - and I'm thrilled that I might have captured it's essence in my review, thanks babe. Royal Revolution will be my next try-out for sure ♥

      Delete
  3. One of my absolute favourite perfumes!! Fantastic review lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Monique - love finding out I have a fragrance buddy hon ♥

      Delete
  4. This is definitely on my wishlist! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete