Thursday 7 January 2016

SPOTLIGHT: The Transforming Power of Make Up (Part 2)...

In September of 2014, I cast a whole heap of my insecurities aside, and posted some information and photos of how I use make up to transform myself each and every day, some days involving a lot more effort (and ingredients) than others - the article is here. Last year I started to take more of an interest in lip products, then took yet another giant leap as far as self-confidence is concerned, and decided to upload a photo of my lipstick choice every day on Instagram. Since then I've had some comments from a few gals asking things like why I extend my lippie beyond the outline of my lips, or suggesting I don't conceal my cupids bow. Well the harsh reality is that my lips have been ravaged by two things - time, and around 50 years of cold sore attacks. Combine those with the freckles I've had since I was a young 'un, plus some major pigmentation issues (hypo and hyper), and the result is that I don't have any real lip outline any more, and consequently no distinct cupids bow. There's a pretty ghastly pic below of my lips in all their natural glory gory, and I thought that showing how I "create" them every morning might give some hope to other gals who like me, sure ain't perfect, but with some inexpensive products and a bit of practice, it's possible to disguise those things we're not so happy about...


The above pic is without any makeup at all, but you probably guessed that ha ha. It's pretty clear why tinted lip balms or sheer make up products in general are of absolutely no use to me whatsoever - I need coverage, and I need it big time!

In this next pic, I've applied my foundation, and taken it almost completely over my lips. I've also reverse outlined my lips with a life-changing little crayon I spotted in Coles - CROP Natural Concealer Pencil in Light. It's SO good because it's a snap to work with, and hides just about anything... 


Next step is to set my makeup with Australis Ready Set Go Finishing Powder - this also softens the appearance of my pores and lines by mattifying the skin, and in general, fuzzing out my imperfections, including those on the edges of my lips. After that I outline my pucker with either a lip liner, or in the case below, the same lip pencil I used for the finished look - Maybelline COLORdrama Intense Velvet Lip Pencil in the shade Berry Much. This stage is always a work in progress, and I clean up as I go, sometimes adding more strokes of the concealer crayon, or removing stray bits of colour...


So here's the end result - not perfect by any stretch, a bit lop-sided to say the least, but I think you'll agree it's a million miles from where I started You'll notice that I softened the sharpness of the cupids bow I drew initially, and generally tidied up the whole outline. I tell you what, if they ever stop making cotton buds, I'm finished lol!


And here's the products I used...


This took me around 10 minutes to get my lips to a camera-ready stage, but if I'm not taking photos, I can do it in three 

Take care of you,
kats xxx

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having the courage to do this post, Kat! It is so helpful, as I've noticed my lips losing their defined line and can appear lopsided. I have been scared to draw on my lips, thinking I'd look like a clown, lol. You've proved that done right looks anything but clown like xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Indie, thanks so much ♥ I admit I hesitated with the first piccie - it's pretty awful hey, but I'm so happy if it helps you even in some small way xxx

      Delete
  2. Sweets, you've got amazing skills and you're a whiz with photography! I wish I were as good at it as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♥♥♥ Hey hon, I don't know what you're talking about - every one of your pics is always magical, so are your FOTD's!

      Delete
  3. I've noticed you're accentuating your cupid's bow more lately. I'm finding my lip line blurring at the inner edges. I've gone wonky a few times (Oh the joys of ageing, huh?). I love that bold berry lip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some awkwardly placed freckles which are difficult to disguise so I used to just plaster the lippie over the top - now I try harder lol ♡

      Delete
  4. Dearest Kats,
    Wow your a magician with makeup!! What you can achieve with a bit of concealer and lip liner is amazing. Your lips look so gorgeous. I know what you mean by ravaged with cold sores except my issue has always been pimples/blackheads on the lip line. I am definitely going to check out that CROP Concealer and give your methods a try next time I am trying hard to get my lipstick looking perfect. Your an inspiration <3
    Love Flaming Beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my darling FB - hope my tips and tricks are useful sweetie. The CROP concealer is brilliant, I use it every single day ♥

      Delete