Sunday 7 February 2016

REVIEW: Goldwell Kerasilk Keratin Treatment - Best in Beauty 2015...

Saturday 30th January 2016 will forever be a significant day in my diary - it was the day I had a Goldwell Kerasilk Keratin Treatment done on my hair, one of the prizes from my beautyheaven Best in Beauty 2015 win. I'll be honest, I hadn't read anything about it beforehand - actually thought it was a deep conditioning thingy, and oh yeah, nice one, my hair could sure do with that. Well it turns out that this unbelievably fantastic process is primarily a de-frizzer, and the result for me was nothing short of jaw-dropping...


My hair kinks and frizzes at the first hint of moisture in the air, and while I've been able to keep it relatively under control with my new ghd Air Professional and the REF products I use, as Sydney's humidity skyrocketed throughout January (as it does every year), I was rapidly losing the battle. The above left pic was taken on the 22nd - while I'd started the shift to a lighter more coppery hair colour, I had heaps of dark red colourant to get rid of, plus I was struggling to straighten and style my new pixie-ish cut, which has a (much cooler) wispy fringe, and it was taking a good 15 minutes workout (and several products) to get it looking like this. The pic on the right was taken this week without ANY styling or straightening - I just bent over and blew hot air through it for four and a half minutes. Needless to say I am totally BLISSING OUT!


So here's how it all began - the lovely Peieta from Goldwell had kindly booked me into Ruffles Hair Design just down the road, and advised I needed to allow 3 hours for the process. With my short length, it took just under 2 hours - a delightfully pampering experience, with absolutely no discomfort, yucky smells or scalp irritation. Phase 1 was a quick wash and partial blow dry, followed by the application of a solution which smelled fruity and delicious - my hair was sectioned and the liquid painted on, pretty much all over. The timer was set for 15 minutes, and then my hair was rinsed. The very experienced Justine then began Phase 2 - blow drying my hair with a standard dryer and brush, and that's when the major magic happened. Not only did each strand become totally tamed as the solution was activated, a whole heap of the red dye up and vanished as she worked the brush and heat through my hair! She told me that this major fade ONLY happens if the hair is coloured with home dyeing products (my natural hair is white). Given that I was working towards going copper anyway, I was ecstatic as it meant I wouldn't have to bleach or strip my hair with harsh chemicals. Now that was an unexpected bonus!


After the blow drying transformation, my hair was looking pretty sleek and slick, but Justine then switched to a straightening iron, and worked it through sections until it was even more smooth. You can probably imagine that by this stage I was tripping at the sight of my previous red fuzzball having been converted into a frizzless strawberry blonde do! Then it was back to the basin for Phase 3 - a final rinse and the application of a leave-in solution, followed by one last blow dry...

Being the brave blogger that I am, below are the (grossly unflattering) before and after selfies taken at the salon. The end colour was quite a mixed bag of blonde, copper and red, and really needed some evening out. While I've since read other bloggers reviews that say "don't colour for 2 weeks" after the treatment, my stylist advised that waiting 24 hours would be ok, which I did. As you can see from the "after" photo at the top of the page, there was absolutely zero ill effect after re-colouring so soon - no loss of shine, condition or smoothness whatsoever...


Because my hair is so short, the treatment will probably only last for around 3 months, but I'm not in the least bit fussed as that will take me into Autumn, and beyond the steamy season. For now, here it is a week later, and I'm basking in the previously never experienced joy of having silky soft, straight, glossy and 100% frizz-free tresses. I've been severely windblown and even rained on since my defrizzing, and it makes not the slightest bit of difference - all I have to do is run my fingers through my hair to put it back in place. OMG - I am in hair heaven! 

This process costs $350, and I'm declaring right now that I'm having it done every Summer, without fail. I figured if I put aside $29 a month (or $6.73 a week), I'll be ready for the next treatment in January 2017...

Beautyheaven and Goldwell, I can't thank you enough for this life-changing experience - I am thrilled beyond my wildest dreams 

Take care of you,
kats xxx

P.S. Ingrid's Monday Makeup Madness Link Up Party is a great site to visit if you're looking for beaut blog reads 

22 comments:

  1. I have been interested in this treatment Kat, thank you for the review. Oh my goodness, look at that shine!!! That is beautiful! Lucky you for winning xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Barbe - hope my ramblings have helped you decide. I hadn't heard of it before, but I'm totally sold - the time and stress this is saving me is just so worth me saving up for my next treatment!

      Delete
  2. I love the defrizzing effect of this treatment! My hair desperately needs this. I also love the lighter colour it faded your hair to. Absolutely gorgeous! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrid - I tell you what, all my life I've wanted silky straight hair, and it's finally happened lol! I don't seem to need as much shampoo either - amazing ♥

      Delete
  3. The results are amazing; your hair looks absolutely fabulous and the colour is flattering, too. What a fantastic treatment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really something to write home about Di - the difference has totally blown me away ♥

      Delete
  4. Great thorough review, Kat. The treatment sounds amazing. The photos speak for themselves, really xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling Indie - I hope it encourages someone else to go for it. Never thought I'd give up the bright red, but I do think it's a bit softer at my age lol ♥♥♥

      Delete
  5. You look amazing!!! Your hair is glowing, I love the colour as well!


    Lily @ Lily not Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily my dear, thanks so much - I was truly gobsmacked by the results. I probably should have taken a picture of my jaw on the floor!

      Delete
  6. The difference is amazing, you look great Kat! I've seen keratin treatments on groupon type sites but I thought they were mostly about permanent straightening treatments. I might check these out (I'm a tight ar$#). I see by the phone number of the salon that you're from close to where I was born & bred. I'm more suited to the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neurotic my dear, thank so much for your ever so kind words - hope you can find a really good deal online ♥

      Delete
  7. The results look amazing Kat! I've had a keratin treatment before (was practically co-erced into it), but didn't think it did much + the product they told me to use was terrible (made my hair break into little pieces when I put a comb through it); so I guess I'm a bit reticent to try it again, even though I too get the frizzies easily. Seeing your results though is making me re-consider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Shell, that sounds like a highly unsatisfactory experience - was it a while ago? I wonder if they've improved the product recently? I can't bear being pushed into anything, whoever it was was totally unprofessional xxx

      Delete
  8. Love this review Kat! Your hair looks so gorgeous and glossy! I haven't had a keratin treatment before as I always seem to associate it with hair straightening treatments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee my dear - it certainly is a straightening treatment, but it also conditions the hair out of sight ♥

      Delete
  9. you look gorgeous and your hair looks so glossy! Fab review x www.beyoutyfulyou.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Louise thanks heaps - my hair has never been so manageable, still can't believe I don't have any frizzies ha ha ♥

      Delete
  10. I have super kinky hair that is super frizzy! My hair is like a barometer too! I can be indoors with AC on and if it's going to rain... POOF! lol. This looks great and I like the lighter colour too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Amy - this treatment will sort you out hon. What a joy it is to not have to worry about my hair exploding ♥♥♥

      Delete
  11. The results look amazing!
    I'd love to have this done but don't think my hairdresser would forgive me for being unfaithful. ;) I saw her on Friday and asked her if she does it. She's qualified but doesn't offer it due to the cost of setup and needing two people to do it (she's a sole trader). Never say never though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh go on hon - I felt the same because my hairdresser doesn't stock Goldwell products, but she just said "go for it". She knows I'll keep going to her for everything else ♥

      Delete