Friday 13 May 2016

SPOTLIGHT: First Quarter Fave LOTD's, Oranges...

Up until I started dyeing my hair in the red spectrum, I rarely wore orange lipstick - with cool ashy blonde hair for most of my pre 50's years, it wasn't the least bit flattering, but I've certainly embraced it in this most recent decade of my life, and even more so now that my tresses are more orangey than anything else. It's super cheerful, and I especially favour it in the Autumn and Winter to bring some warmth and sunshine into an otherwise dark day. There's a pretty good variety here, from reddish and slightly pinky tones to those with more of a gold or bronze content. As is usual for me, these range in price from $2 (BOE Beauty) to around $20 for the Revlon. I honestly don't think too much about what I pay for a lipstick, so long as I love the colour, and it wears comfortably, but it's a rare thing for me to spend more than $25 - there's way too many out there that I haven't tried yet (lol!) so I have to draw the budget line somewhere ...

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick - Bronze Beauty
W7 Lipstick - Fluorescent Orange
MBA Cosmetics Lipstick - Spiced Pumpkin
David Jones Moisture Cream Lipstick - Honey Gold
Cover Girl Outlast Lipstick - Amazing Auburn
Australis Velourlips Matte Lip Cream - sanfrandisco
BOE Beauty Matte Lipstick - Primped
Rimmel The Only 1 Lipstick - Call Me Crazy
To be honest, orange can be quite tricky to wear successfully, but I reckon it comes down to finding the right one for your skin tone, and it makes a huge difference it you can pair it up with an accessory or two...

SO hard to nominate which of these takes the number one spot - I wear the MBA Spiced Pumpkin the most often, but the Australis sanfrandisco is a close second, even though it makes my pout look decidedly pruney 

In case you missed them, you'll find nudes, bricks and bronzes HEREcorals, mauves & pinks HERE reds HERE, and berries & purples HERE 

Take care of you,
kats xxx

7 comments:

  1. I rarely spend over $25 on a lippie either, since my last mecca haul I haven't really purchased anything! Ahh I can't pick between oranges, it's one of my favourite colours (but doesn't necessarily look great on my lips) I love it on yours though. You can rock any bold colours :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lily - I do so love the bright colours ♥ The most challenging thing is matching the lippie to my orange clothing, which varies considerably - I'll either have to buy more lipsticks, or maybe just wear black lol xxx

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely selection of shades, perfect for brightening things up in Autumn and Winter! My top picks are the Amazing Auburn and Honey Gold shades ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your choices Bella - those two have just enough oomph to lift the spirits without being too out there hey ♥

      Delete
  3. All of these colours seem to suit your complexion, but these shades are definitely better for redheads. I like the San Fran & the Call me Crazy. Sometimes I put clear balm over my Velourlips. My lips always feel comfy, but they can look dry with the Vlips. I've been alternative between blue & purple hair, so I've been looking awful in orangey shades. I've been wearing a lot of pink instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do these shades make your teeth look? My teeth are fairly white until I put on a warm lippy.

      Delete
    2. Yep orange isn't for every one - I haven't tried coating the Vlips with anything, I was worried it would shift? As for my teeth, I can't answer that right now, but I'll make a point to look next time. After so many years of ugly and horrible stains, I've learned to smile without showing my choppers, and even though I now have veneers, I'm still not revealing the fangs - habit!

      Delete