Sunday 19 November 2017

CONFESSIONS: of a Scrubaholic (Part 6)...

Yikes, I almost forgot to post this next episode in the series - embarrassed to say Part 5 was back in June! But I've been a busy bee discovering more new and absolutely delightful face scrubs to add to my collection, so Part 7 is not far away. Meanwhile let's get on with some of these that have been on the market for a while...



Yes to Grapefruit Daily Facial Scrub (113g, RRP $14.99)


I use a scrub to cleanse my face every morning in the shower, and I need quite a few different intensities to choose from so that I can alternate (from gentle to heavy duty) to not overdo the sloughing effect on my skin, and this one I would classify as gentle to medium. This clear gel is quite runny, so care needs to be taken when dispensing - I do prefer something not quite so fluid, but it's manageable. Overall this is a lovely scrub - I believe the granules are grapefruit peel, and it also contains Vitamin C, Lycopene and Sunflower Oil. No parabens, petroleum or SLS, and it has quite a sour fruit scent, (a mix of grapefruit and lemon), but I enjoy it as it doesn't smell fake and there's no artificial sweetening. Another bonus is that it doesn't leave behind any grainy bits in my facial nooks and crannies - I've found that some do regardless of how well I rinse ...


Aveeno Positively Radiant Skin Brightening Daily Scrub (140g, RRP $13.99)


If you're after a gentle scrub, then this is the go! So kind and loving to the skin, the granules are super-fine and virtually invisible in the pearly cream - I haven't been able to find out what they're made from, but the label says "naturally derived". Great consistency and lovely fresh scent, this is mild enough for daily use, and leaves my face smooth and refreshed without any irritation. I have normal/oily combination skin, and while this isn't powerful enough to frighten away the relentless blackheads on my nose, I use it once a week to give my face a break from the other more rigorous scrubs on the shelf ...


Olay Regenerist Revitalising Thermal Mini-Peel Treatment (125ml, RRP $19.99)

While technically this isn't a scrub, it has an exfoliating component, hence it's inclusion here. As soon as it hits my face, it warms my skin - absolute heaven in winter! It has a delicate floral scent, the cream is a pretty pale lavender shade, and it leaves my skin feeling smooth without drying it out. The packaging looks modern and ritzy, but the tube needs some major refinement from a functional perspective - as the amount of product reduces, it get's harder and harder to extract anything from it. It kind of shrinks and shrivels with use (like a toothpaste tube), and the cap is so huge (and doesn't unscrew) so it's almost impossible to squeeze out the scrub that's left at the bottom  Another negative is that I found out (after purchase) that it's on the Microbead naughty list, so that means I will never buy it again unless it is reformulated - boo...


Nivea Daily Essentials Gentle Exfoliating Scrub (150ml, RRP $9.98)


Have had this on my shower shelf for almost 6 months and barely used it at all. Oh it's nice enough, does a terrific job of sloughing off the skin cells and ensuring my blackheads don't get the upper hand, but, well, I find it boring. Silly comment I know but hey, there are so many scrubs out there that don't bore me, so I asked myself why, and came up with "it's the fragrance". It's just kinda soapy and bland, and therefore there's nothing to grab me, or pull me in to look forward to using it over and over again. I was also concerned about the white exfoliating beads that don't dissolve, but I checked and it doesn't seem to have any of the "poly-xxx" ingredients that are so bad for the marine life. Anyways, if a body wash or hand cleanser has a mehhh scent, I add a few drops of fragrant oil to it, but I can't do that with a face scrub, so I bit the bullet and put it in the laundry for when I do gardening, and the dirt gets inside my gloves...

In summary, two winners out of four, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Do you use a scrub regularly? What's your favourite?

Take care of you,
kats xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment