Saturday 1 November 2014

REVIEW: Maybelline Master Kajal Khol Liners...

If the truth be known. I'm pretty much plum loco about any eye makeup product whose name starts with "Maybelline Master...". The MNY Master Precise Liquid Liner is never EVER absent from my kit, and I always ALWAYS have spare in my drawer, so when I spotted the new Lapis Blue Master Kajal Khol Liner in a recent beautyheaven article, I made a beeline for the first available MNY stand, and bought both...


The presentation of these liners is spesh and had me all excited - they're funky looking, and they don't ever need sharpening so long as you stroke them on sideways. They're a creamy texture (apparently they contain "Oriental oils"), and the pigmentation is pretty good (especially the black). According to the MNY website they're especially designed for lining the waterline with no irritation, and I can vouch for that - can't feel a thing. However neither of them work for me in this area because with my watery eyes, I can't get the colour intense enough for my particularly bold taste, and within a few minutes it's all gone wishy washy. Mind you, this happens to me with all but a couple of eye crayons - I find gels far more lasting on the waterline...


If you use them as an eye liner, heed my warning - these are for smudgy smokey looks, so be careful if you apply them along your lower lashline. They smudge and smear something fierce, and unless you lock them down with a powder shadow, the colour will be half way down your face by lunchtime. Same goes for the top lid - you need to press a powder over the top, or they'll transfer and spread...



Here are a couple of swatches over the top of a bbcream - as you can see the black is indeed potent while the blue is not quite so intense, but it's a beautiful shade...


While I find they don't perform well as eye liners or waterliners, I love to use them as bases for my eyeshadows - they're ridiculously easy to apply, there's no brush to clean up or sharpener required, and the cap stays on well...

In summary, hardly the winning formulation I was hoping for, but I'm still delighted to have them in my collection. There's a sparkly gold in the range too, but it doesn't seem to be available in Australia as yet.

Have you tried the Maybelline Master Kajal Khol Liners yet? Do they work well for you?

Take care of you,
kats xxx

P.S. Is it just me, or is the spelling of "khol" a bit strange? I always thought it was "kohl"...

12 comments:

  1. Shame about the formulation. But it seems most kohl eyeliners with this design turn out to be duds. Physician Formula, Bourjois and Sleek have released some but I heard they're all pretty disappointing. I wonder how you're supposed to sharpen these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah stackcats, making something workable, kind to eyes AND waterproof appears to be a challenge for most companies - I'm guessing including the "fixative" component prevents products from being smudgeable. Someone will figure it out eventually though :-) These don't need to be sharpened so long as you apply them sideways - doing it that way seems to keep the tip fairly honed ♥

      Delete
  2. I've got the blue, it's rare for me not to use a liquid, gel or cream liner - I'm not into pencils or crayons at all. This looked good on the website. Blue is a great liner for when I'm feeling below par as it makes the whites look whiter. I found it went everywhere too. I like the idea of using it as a base! That's too easy, why didn't I think of that?
    BTW, Maybelline's enewsletter, M:edition is giving away 50 of these this month. Google their website, or M:edition for details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info neurotic - much appreciated ♥ I use pencils all the time as bases - there's a much bigger range of colours available than in the more liquid or gel variety and they work just as well xxx

      Delete
  3. I thought it was kohl. My sister and I were just discussing whether this product was worth buying, as we are both tightliners. I have pretty watery eyes though. The one that went everywhere but I loved how black it was, was the Revlon with lash growth factors. I've been pretty happy with the Eye of Horus liners.
    Timely post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Pink Hornet, I even googled "kohl" because I thought I was having a brain fade - thanks for confirming I'm not losing the plot! I have one EOH liner and you're right, it's better than most of the others ♥

      Delete
  4. Great review Kats, shame about the lining properties but they sound like a great eyeshadow bases- the black is so pigmented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the blackest black Monique, and because it's creamy, the shadow adheres brilliantly :-)

      Delete
  5. oohhh....i am very taken with the blue one.
    My violet Rimmel eyeliner is nearing the end of its life *sniffles* perhaps one of these in blue would make me feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a pretty blue Fawn, would definitely cheer you up ♥

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the heads up Kat! I use all diff liners, pencils, liquid and gel. I have been eyeing these off but may pass...il probably finally win a prize lol from the maybelline e newsletter lol! I have very sensitivr eyes also so I haven't used eyeliners on my waterline for years until recently when I bought the silver MNY pencil and love love love it! Also bought the purple the green and the brown but must say though I have used them all the silver I keep reaching for! Btw Kat, I only went and bought them after looking at UR inspirational looks! I thought I was too old for colour and too old to be bold...not that I'm meaning UR old lol..it was seeing how creative UR looks are and I thought bugger it I can add a pop of colour too and have been loving it ever since :) great post thanks Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww hon, how sweet of you to say - you've made my day knowing that you've been having a play with some colours. Honestly I'd just die if I couldn't cheer myself up with some bright hues, and babe, I can assure you, I'm as old as the hills, but you're never too old to be bold - way to go!

      Delete