Thursday 16 April 2015

EOTD: Maybelline Marsala?...

I haven't really even BEGUN to get into this Marsala Pantone Colour of the Year caper, which is surprising as I adore the shade, and well it kinda goes with my hair. So imagine my surprise when I did one of my usual day looks, and then discovered after checking out the photos that I might just have found the right shade already lurking in my kit!



Believe it or not, this is the deepest pinky red from the Maybelline Hyper Diamonds palette - the Berry one (BR-2). It's been around for years, and still available I believe, but I reckon it's pretty darn close to Marsala. Not even sure why I decided to pull out this old pan after so many moons, but I'm definitely glad I did  I used a red base (Maybelline Colordrama Intense Velvet Lip Pencil in Red Essential!), and lined the waterline with essence kajal in the shade Teddy, a gorgeous brown metallic with a fair whack of pink in it, which complements this hue beautifully. For the crease I used a similar pinky brown shade from the NYX Bohemian Chic Nude Matte palette (another oldie but a goodie)...


Here's the whole look - cheeks are the first pan from the Sleek Flame Blush by 3 palette, and lips are the latest love of my makeup life, the aforementioned MNY Colordrama Intense Velvet Lip Pencil in Red Essential. I would never have believed a red could be so flattering to an old chooky like me, and the miracle of this new release is the formula - amazingly long-lasting, intense pigmentation, doesn't bleed (whoa!) plus it's moisturising as well. I'll be posting a review of these soon - I adore them so much I bought the whole set! They're not completely matte - they have a wee bit of sheen, but I added Color Elixir Gloss in Signature Scarlet for a little more pizazz...



So what do you think gals - can I get away with labelling this as Marsala?

Take care of you,
kats xxx

10 comments:

  1. Love love love it! I'm pretty sure you can get away with calling this Marsala haha :) xx
    Sweetaholic Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jas honey - colour interpretation is subjective of course, and I'm delighted you agree ♥

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's actually quite soft hey TP, and not nearly as dreary as I thought it would be ♥

      Delete
  3. I'd call this shade Marsala. I've got an older Maybelline palette with a similar shade which I put aside because it wasn't very bright (this was before I used eye primer). I'll have to dig it out & give it a new try. I love making new discoveries with my old products.
    The red lippy looks good too. Red lippy isn't about age as much as it is about finding the right shade of red. My nan wore no makeup apart from red lippy, well into her eighties. She only stopped because her eyes got too bad to apply it straight. With her white hair, it always suited her.
    This is a nice autumn look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey neurotic, do let me know how you go with the old palette - actually something similar happened to me with Radiant Orchid, love it too when I find I already have "what's hot" in my kit, and it kinda gets reborn. Your Nan sounds like a sweetie - I reckon I'll be similar, I'll only stop with the makeup when I can't put it on evenly any more ♥

      Delete
  4. Looks beautiful...I am sure that every single colour suits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Fawn, I reckon there's a particular tone of every colour in the rainbow that will suit everybody - it's just that sometimes it takes a while to find exactly the right one. It's so kind of you to say hon, thank you - I play with colours every day of my life and I've been lucky to nail a few that work well, but trust me, you never ever see the duds ♥

      Delete
  5. Totally gorgeous colour kats. It's a colour that I have not seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Mandy, not that I've really been looking, but it's quite pretty in an earthy kind of way - not quite as spectacular as emerald or radiant orchid, yet I reckon it's quite comforting ♥

      Delete